Legal Services Manager
POSITION: LEGAL SERVICES MANAGER
The National Oil Company of Malawi (NOCMA) whose main objective is to ensure the security of fuel supply in Malawi is a wholly-owned Malawi Government Company established under the Company’s Act of 1984 on the 10th of December 2010 and commenced its operations on 2012.
NOCMA is responsible for managing the Country’s 60 million liters Strategic Fuel Reserves facilities situated in Blantyre, Lilongwe, and Mzuzu: and smaller depots in Chilumba, Chipoka, and Mchinji.
Over the past twelve (12) years, the Company has grown tremendously in its national strategic importance with its fuel importation market share growing from ten percent (10%) in 2015 to an average of sixty percent (60%) in 2020/21 and this has been matched with growth in Institutional capacity and investments to enable efficiency and effectiveness in executing its mandate.
In its drive to ensure improved and sustained efficiency and effectiveness in delivery of its mandate, NOCMA is seeking to recruit qualified and experienced candidates to fill the following highly rewarding positions that have arisen within the Company at the executive and managerial levels.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with experience and qualification is on offer to the right candidates with prospects to build a meaningful career within the Oil Industry.
NOCMA is therefore excited to invite interested applications to apply for the following position:
LEGAL SERVICES MANAGER
Job Title: Legal Services Manager
Reporting to: Director of Corporate Services
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To manage legal services for the Company in an effective and efficient manner that contributes to the success of the organization’s goals, objectives, and interests.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Oversee the activities of the legal section of the Company.
• Provide legal advice, opinion and interpretation regarding contracts, regulatory requirements, intellectual property, and other business matters.
• Support contract negotiation processes.
• Review and lead actions towards all legal matters against the Company.
• Coordinate and review the work of external legal representation (retainers.
• Conducting litigation initiated by and against the company.
• Providing legal support in drafting, negotiating, vetting and management of agreements, MOU’s, and other legal instruments for the Company.
• Interpreting relevant laws in respect to the business transactions of NOCMA
• Developing and reviewing Company policies
• Attending to hearing processes and arbitrating NOCMA’s related disputes and complaints.
• Processing and evaluating the legality of codes, orders, and other documents for the organisation.
• Undertaking legal research and advice pertaining to the organisation.
• Advocating for the use of appropriate complaint handling procedures and stakeholder feedback process.
• Outsourcing and managing external legal counsel as and when required.
The Legal Services Manager will directly be responsible for supervising the Legal Services Officer
REQUIRED COMPETENCES, ATTRIBUTES AND SKILLS
The required candidate should have the following competences, skills, and attributes:
• Strong research skills
• Good leadership skills
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Good drafting and report writing skills
• Good analytical and negotiation skills
• Ability to multi-task and meet tight deadlines
• Strong persuasion and influencing skills
• Quick learner, self-starter and proactive
• Willingness to stretch and work under pressure.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Degree in Law plus five (5) years’ experience at senior legal position.
• A postgraduate commercial law qualification will be an added advantage.
• Current license to practice in the courts of Malawi
• Corporate and international trade experience will be an added advantage.
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience should send applications with cover letter, copies of certificates, detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV), names, addresses and phone numbers of three traceable referees to the following address:
The Deputy Chief Executive Officer
National Oil Company of Malawi (NOCMA)
Private Bag 370
Attention: The Human Resources and Administration Manager
The closing date for receipt of applications is 10th June 2022
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply as NOCMA is committed to achieving relevant quota’s as per the provisions in the Malawi Gender Equality Act, 2013.
District(s): All Districts